As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This is without any additional costs for the buyer but does support us in maintaining our website.
Patio heaters are now a common fixture at outdoor restaurants, country clubs, function facilities, and anywhere people gather outside in chilly weather. Similar heaters suitable for home use and offered at a lower price point are now making it possible for almost anyone to enjoy long nights out under the stars without bundling up or spending a lot of money.
While the common mushroom head designs account for the majority of the patio heater market, newer designs like the AZ Quartz Glass Tube Patio Heater are beginning to gain favor. Instead of a simple, utilitarian machine look, these heaters offer both heat and a visual appeal that delivers a certain wow factor, especially after sunset. A clear glass column that rises from about waist level to over seven feet high displays a column of flame that offers a fascinating visual appeal while throwing off a substantial amount of heat. The rest of the AZ Quartz Glass Tube patio heater is also designed with an eye towards a dynamic and stylish appearance, and the rich, hammered bronze powder coat finish will make you forget that the unit is first and foremost a heating appliance.
Click Here for Customer Reviews
- Freestanding propane-fueled patio heater
- Model number HLDSO-WGTHG
- Produces up to 40,000 BTUs
- Requires a standard 20-pound propane cylinder, not included
- Has wheels for mobility
- Up to 20 hours of runtime running at full capacity
- 21.5 x 21.5 x 91 inches tall
- Quartz glass tube displays flame while radiating heat
- Hammered bronze powder coat finish
- Weighs 65.2 pounds
- Shipping weight 69 pounds
Most patio heater designs are inherently top heavy, and the mushroom-shaped cap at the top of the units often acts like a sail in a heavy breeze, which makes tipping over a constant worry. The AZ Quartz Glass Tube Patio Heater has a wide base that sits on four splayed legs, and it tapers up to a much smaller crown, so it’s much less likely to topple over in windy conditions than traditional designs. The base of the unit contains and conceals a twenty-pound propane cylinder, and when it’s full, the unit is much less likely to be affected by even strong winds.
The exposed glass tube that holds the flame as it rises offers people gathered near the unit the benefit of radiant heat, as well at the usual heat that’s dispersed from the top of all patio heaters. Since the unit is so interesting to look at in operation, people will naturally want to congregate close by, in the same way people gather at a fireplace when it’s in use.
- Fit and finish of the components and the finished products are first-rate
- Clear glass tube displays an amazing column of fire that makes the heater into a stunning decorative accent
- Radiates heat from the entire column instead of just at the top like many other models
- Energy efficient propane fuelled heater
- Splayed feet and pyramidal shape is more stable and much less likely to tip over than other, top-heavy designs
- Protective screen keeps fingers away from hot surfaces while still displaying the column of flame
- Substantial 40,000 BTUs of heat lets you stay outdoors longer in chilly weather
- Assembly instructions aren’t very detailed
- Radiant heat design requires you to stand closer to the unit to fully enjoy the warmth
Click Here for the Price!
The AZ Patio Heaters HLDSO-WGTHG Quartz Glass Tube Patio Heater is very highly rated by reviewers. Almost 75 percent of users rate the unit at four or more stars. Many reviewers took off points for the lack of detailed instructions, but said that the unit isn’t all that complicated to put together. Users love the visual effect of the flames that rise up in the clear glass tube, and they say that the unit immediately becomes the center of attention at outdoor gatherings instead of just supplying heat to chilly partygoers.
Reviewers note that the AZ patio heater doesn’t weigh very much, which makes it easy to wheel around on the attached wheels, but once you load in a full propane cylinder, the unit is too heavy to move around effectively. Most rate that as a plus, as the unit is very stable when it has weight in its base, and users can always disconnect the propane cylinder before moving the unit to a new spot on their patio.
Some users point out that you have to stand somewhat closer to the AZ Quartz Glass Tube patio heater than you do for standard mushroom head heaters, and estimate that you need to be within five to seven feet of the unit to get the full benefit of its heat output (wiki). Very few take off any stars for this, as they feel that the visual interest the unit gives makes it a natural place for family members and partygoers to congregate. The AZ Patio Heaters HLDSO-WGTHG is rated a best buy.